Awareness Activities of the Zonal Transpalnt Co-ordiantion Centre Mumbai,in the Year 2010
- 12th January 2010 :- Dr. Sujata Patwardhan and Ms. Jyoti Nagda from Narmada kidney foundation organize talk on “Organ Donation” at KEM Hospital for Nurse Staff.
- 2. 18th January 2010 :- Dr. Bharat Shah has given a talk on “Transplant Law” and Dr. N. K. Hase given a talk on “Hurdles” at KEM Hospital for Doctors.
- 3. 11th February 2010 :- Ms. Urmila Shelke, our councellor was invited to give information about the “Organ Donation” by Mr. Dinesh Shenoy. She distributed there 650 Pamphlets and 200 donor card.
- 4. KEM Hospital appointment of Social worker on temporary basis for six months by department of urology. And appointment of internal Dr. Gaurav Kulkarni for six month to keep data of all patients on ventilator in KEM Hospital has been done.
- 8th March 2010 :- The ZTCC co-ordinator Mrs. Sujata Ashtekar and Ms. Urmila Shelke our councellor was invited to give a talk on “Organ Donation” by Ms. Heena Vora, member of “Kuchha women’s federation”. They Distributed 600 Pamphlets and 600 Donor Cards.
- 11th March 2010 :- On 11th March 2010 on the occasion of “World Kidney Day” National Kidney Foundation arranged one program in Marine Lines & got permission to share counter at Indian Merchants Chamber . Dr. Sandeep Bhurke and Ms. Urmila Shelke was invited there. They distributed 70 pamphlets and 70 donor card.
- 7. 27th March 2010 :- The report of the Deceased Donor Family Felicitation organized by the ZTCC on the occasion of Maharashtra Organ Donation Day
On the occasion of Maharashtra Organ Donation Day, the Zonal Transplant Co-ordination Centre [ZTCC], Mumbai in co-ordination with the Director of Health Services, Maharashtra & G.S. Medical College, K.E.M. Hospital felicitated the family members of the Deceased Donors on Saturday, 27th March 2010 at Dr. Sen-Kinare Hall, CVTS Building, KEM hospital at 10a.m.
On the day, 7 families of the brain dead individuals who consented to donate internal organs like kidneys,heart of their loved one for the therapeutic purpose and for the benefit of others were felicitated. There were 18 donors in the city of Mumbai between March 2009 to 2010 form whom 36 kidneys and 6livers were transplanted. The ZTCC took this initiative to appreciate the noble gestures of the families who thought of helping other in their moments of grief.
In the morning of the day, at 9.30 a.m. the volunteers and members of the ZTCC in co-ordination with the PSM Dept., Dept. of GI surgery and Dept. of urology of K.E.M . organized a rally around KEM Hospital that is from and around Dean’s office to CVTS Building to promote organ donation. Around 30 volunteers and representatives held placards having messages on organ donation and walked shouting slogans promoting the cause.
At the venue, the exhibition posters on organ donation made by PSM DEPT., KEM Hospital and of the ZTCC were displayed near registration counter. The stall on organ donation and kidney diseases was also put by the Narmada Kidney Foundation outside the hall.
The Donor Family Felicitation programme began at around 10.30 a.m. with the opening remarks made by Dr. Sujata Patwardhan, the ZTCC Gen. Secretary. She announced that 98 doctors from K.E.M. were given recognition by the DHS for brain death and transplant committees and the ZTCC would get area of 298 Sq. ft. for its office in the premises of L.T.M.G.Hospital, Sion .Dr. Dawar, the President ZTCC, gave the welcome address. Dr. Mohan Jadhav from the office of the Director of Health Services addressed the gathering and expressed the support of the Govt. to the Deceased Donor Transplantation Programme. He also released the awareness posters on brain death and organ donation made by the PSM dept. of K.E.M. Hospital. Dr. Sandhya Kamat, Dean, L.T.M.G. Hospital, Dr. Sanjay Oak, Dean, K.E.M. Hospital Dr. Ravi Rannavre, Dean, Nair Hospital and Dr. Vidya Acharya were the Guest of Honors of the day.
The chief Guest Dr. Pravin Shingare, Jt. Director, DMER felicitated the family members of the deceased donors where they were presented with the certificate and mementos. Some of the family members expressed their feelings in terms of what motivated them to donate. It was very emotional moments when the family members expressed their feelings while accepting the mementoes given in the memory of their loved one.
The hospitals in which there was a deceased organ donation in the year March 2009 to 2010 were also presented with the memento of appreciation. The representatives of the hospitals present on the day were felicitated. The 9 hospitals which were appreciated for there contribution are Jaslok, Wokhardt-Fortis, Hurkishondas, Nanavati, Hiranandani, P.D. Hinduja, BSES, Lilavati, and L.T.M.G.Hospital. The maximum donations were at Jaslok where there were 6 donors followed by 3 at wokhardt Fortis Hospital. The representatives from the hospitals expressed their views. Dr. Vatasala Trivedi, the Ex-secretary , ZTCC Dr. Bhimani, Ex-president ZTCC were appreciated for their contribution to the ZTCC for past many years by presenting the mementos .Dr. Sanjay Oak, Dean KEM Hospital also addressed the gathering . He saluted the donor families for their noble act. He also announced that the KEM Hospital would take effective steps to promote deceased Donor transplants and to establish effective liver transplant programme. Dr. Rujuta Deshpande from KEM hospital read out the Marathi translation of the poem “Life Pass it on—-’’ which precisely convey the noble message of organ donation. Dr.R.R. Shinde from KEM Hospital gave the vote of thanks.
The felicitation programme was followed by the scientific sessions taken by Dr. Vidya Acharya on transplantation, the interns of the GSMC made excellent presentation on brain death. They also showed the clips from the documentaries and promotion films made on organ donation. Dr. Chetan Kantharia made a presentation on New Horizons for liver transplantations. At the end of the session Dr. Sujata Patwardhan gave vote of thanks.
There were above 150 people present in the auditorium who were doctors, co-ordinators, para-medical staff and representatives from the NGOS and press and individual s from the society to show their gratitude to the donor families and support to the cause.
- 28th March 2010 :- The ZTCC co-ordinator Mrs. Sujata Ashtekar and Ms. Urmila Shelke was invited on the occasion of “National Award Function” at Bhnadup arranged by Mr. Khune. They Distributed 200 Pamphlets and 200 Donor Cards.
- 4TH June10- The Bureau of Navics invited the ZTCC Co-ordinator Mrs. Ashtekar to talk on Deceased organ donation for around 200 personnel. The talk was well received and was followed by active question and answer sessions.
10. 19th June 10- The distribution of two kidneys when the donor was at HN. [ As Urmila was not well the entire distribution was done by me.]
- 11. 21st June 10 – The donor at Hiranandani where there was consent for liver and two kidneys. [Some calls as the donor was urgently taken to O.T. without the liver getting retrived]
- 12. 25th June 10- The distribution of liver as there was a potential donor at Forits, the family was positive initially but backed up as one of the close relatives were not willing for organ donation .
13. 25th to 28th June 10 – A 17yr. old donor at Saifee hospital, the family expressed the wish to donate. Co-ordinated for recognition of the brain death committee of Saifee, sending consent forms etc.
14. 25th June10- The meeting of the Transplant Co-ordinators and the Social Workers was held at the ZTCC office. The distribution system of liver and to motivate more liver donations was discussed during the meeting.
15. Dr. Sujata Patwardhan Was invited to give a talk on “Brain Steam Death” at Pediatric surgery CME at KEM Hospital for Post Graduate student.
16. 2nd July 2010 :- The ZTCC in co-ordination with Urology Dept. of KEM Hospital organized the training session on ‘Deceased Donor Transplantation’ for the social workers, co-ordinators and ICU Medical officers and Nurses in two batches. Around 90 representatives from the BMC hospitals and registered hospitals attended the training programme. The ZTCC got overwhelming response which shows the need for more such trainings on regular basis.
On 2nd July, Dr. Patwardhan , the ZTCC Secretary welcome the representatives and introduced them to the topic of organ donation and to the ZTCC. Dr. Nitin Karnik , spoke on concept of brain death and HOTA-1994, Mrs. Sujata Ashtekar spoke on counseling and Mrs. Neelam Choudankar spoke co-ordination. Mrs. Jyoti Nagda spoke on frequently asked Questions.
17. 3rd July 2010 :- The ZTCC in co-ordination with the Jupiter hospital conducted a workshop on Deceased Donor Transplantation for the ICU and Nursing staff of Jupiter Hospital. Dr. Sanjay Nagral introduced the topic of organ donation and brain death. Dr. Nitin Karnik spoke about donor maintenance and HOTA-1994, Dr. Sujata Patwardhan , shared Social factors in Deceased Donor Transplantation. Mrs .Sujata Ashtekar, shared the process of obtaining the consent for organ donation.
18. 4th July 2010 :- Dr. Sujata Patwardhan was invited to give a talk on “Brain Steam Death” by Mumbai Baptist Church. She distributed around 400 pamphlets and Donor cards.
19. 4th July 2010 :- The Association of Medical consultants and Dr. Umesh Oza invited the ZTCC to promote organ donation at the various blood donation camps organized on the occasion of Doctors day. The ZTCC representatives went to the IMA Hall Thane, Bombay Hospital, Chembur centre.
20. 9th July 2010 :- The ZTCC in co-ordination with Urology Dept. of KEM Hospital organized the training session on ‘Deceased Donor Transplantation’ for the social workers, co-ordinators and ICU Medical officers and Nurses in two batches. Around 92 representatives from the BMC hospitals and registered hospitals attended the training programme. The ZTCC got overwhelming response which shows the need for more such trainings on regular basis.
On 9th July the session went on the same way, except ht eco-ordination was covered by Mrs. Sujata Nadar and Ms.Jyoti Nagda conducted a session on professional and public awareness. A very informative session on liver transplantation was conducted by Dr. Sanjay Nagral which was appreciated by all.
21. 16th July 10- The talk on concept of brain death and organ donation at BARC was given by Dr. Sujata Patwardhan and Mrs. Aashtekar.
22. 20th July10-The talk on organ donation and transplantation for the group of 25 doctors at IMA meeting , Thane by Mrs. Ashtekar.
23. 11th Aug.2010- The Bombay Hospital organized CME on Deceased Donor Transplantation for the doctors and nursing staff form their hospital. Dr. Umesh Oza invited Mrs. Ashtekar to speak on donor motivation.
24. 15 th Aug.2010- The member from the Customs Officers Housing Soc. Mr. R. K. Shrivastav Contacted Hiranandani Hospital, Powai and the ZTCC to give awareness talk on organ donation in his Society on the occasion of independence day. After the flag hoisting ceremony Mrs. Ashtekar spoke to 100 members about organ donation. Mrs. Mariyam , the co-ordinator from Hiranandani accompanied her. Around 100 pamphlets were distributed.
25. 20th and 21st Aug.10- Mrs. Sujata Ashtekar attended the transplant co-ordinators workshop organized by MOHAN Foundation at CARE Hospital, Hyderabad. She presented on the topics ‘visual Aids to explain the concept of brain death to the relatives’ and about the ZTCC, Mumbai.
26. 27th August 2010 :- Mr. Amey Mahajan co-ordinator Fortis Hospital, help ZTCC in organizing & co-ordinating the workshop. The Workshop on “Deceased Donor Transplantation” was conducted on 27th August 2010 for Thane Police officers at Manthan Hall, Thane (West). Dr. Mukesh Shetty, Mrs. Sujata Ashtekar and Mrs. Sujata Nadar gave talk on “Concept of Brain Death, Organ Donation, Police procedure respectively. Around 60 Police officers and ACP Kamble attended the workshop which was followed by discussion.
27. 3rd September 2010 :- the CME on Deceased Donor Program at BARC Hospital on behalf of the ZTCC Dr. Sanjay Nagaral gave the overview on “Deceased Donor Transplantation”, Dr. Indranil from Jaslok Hospital spoke about “Donor Maintenance”, and Mrs. Sujata Ashtekar spoke about “ZTCC. Around 50 Doctor were attended from BARC Hospital.
28. 18th Sep. 2010-‘The Durga Nagar Ganeshotsav Mandal ’had approached the ZTCC as they wanted to promote organ donation as a theme for this year Ganeshhotsav. The ZTCC supported them with the contents and in developing the script. The pamphlets Donor cards, banners and posterson the organ donation were also provided. On 18th Oct. 2010, the ZTCC put a stall on organ donation and a donor family Mr. Punit Thakkar was felicitated by the Mandal. Mrs. Neelam Choudankar and Mr. Mahajan the co-ordinators from Fortis were also present to support the cause.
29. 28th Sep. 2010- The meeting of the Transplant coordinators and the Medical Social Workers was held.
30. 7th and 8th Oct.2010-The Vidyalankar Institute of Technology, VIT , Wadala, Mumbai, invited the ZTCC Co-ordinator ,Mrs. Ashtekar to speak on the organ donation. On 8th Oct. Mrs. Urmila , the counselor of the ZTCC put a whole day stall on organ donation in the college premises with the help of NSS volunteers of the college.
31. 12th October 2010 :- Dr. Sujata Patwardhan gave a talk on “Organ Donation and Skin Donation’, on Radio (Akhashwani) at 7.00 p.m.
32. Department of Urology contributed Rs. 8000/- as a Diwali Gift to the wife of Mr. Vilas Bhujad. Money will be given by Mrs. Urmila Mahajan in the next week.
33. 3rd November 2010- from “Bishup’s of Mumbai” Mr. Patole was invited our ZTCC General secretary Dr. Sujata Patwardhan to give a talk on “Organ Donation” at ‘Crief Church’, Bhaykula.
34. 13th December to 17th December 2010 :- The ZTCC in co-ordination organized Training program for social workers, co-ordinators and ICU Medical officers and Nurses. Around 90 representatives are attended the training programme from the BMC hospitals and registered hospitals. The ZTCC got overwhelming response which shows the need for more such trainings on regular basis.